Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Pen in hand

We're coming up on the time of year when families gather to reminisce. November is National Novel Writing Month! You could start today and have the great American novel ready (well almost ready) for Thanksgiving.

I started thinking about family stories. Little Women is the first that came to mind. I know there are other novels that use the family as their foundation. I just can't think of any- well, I thought of Little House on the Prairie but I couldn't think of any adult titles. A search in NoveList for Little Women revealed the genre tagged as 'family sagas'. That gave me a clue on what to search for.

The advanced search option in NoveList has a drop down box with GN genre. The search for family sagas as genre turned up over 1800 titles!

Now I need to narrow my search again. On the left side there are boxes to help narrow results. I picked Location. That dropped down to reveal a number of areas. I selected Southern States and then North Carolina. Three titles turned up. I wasn't interested in their characters so I x'd out North Carolina and tried Georgia.

I can see this might take some time!

Once you find the right book, click on the World Cat link to see which library has the book. There is a request a copy link. Because I went into NoveList through GALILEO I can request a copy be sent to my campus library.

Start writing or start reading to get ideas for your great American novel.

-kss

Get the password to use GALILEO from your Georgia librarian.
Select Databases A-Z
..Select N
....NoveList

No comments: