Monday, October 31, 2011

Analyzing Popular Music

The Credo pop music quiz had me searching for popular music in our catalog. I wondered what we had that might help me with the Credo questions. My search for facts was derailed when I ran across two e-copies of Analyzing Popular Music by Allan F. Moore [MT146 ONLINE RESOURCE 2003]. A trip through Google looking for more info on the title led me to Amazon which has a 2009 print edition for sale.

To see if there had been a seismic shift in the six years between editions, the "Look Inside" option allowed me to compare the Table of Contents and the first page of the index of the two editions. With my, admittedly quick, skimming I couldn't see any differences between the 2003 and 2009 versions.

The book description offered at Amazon gives hints on the content
How do we "know" music? We perform it, compose it, sing it in the shower; cook, sleep and dance to it. Eventually we think and write about it. This book represents the culmination of such shared processes. Portraying a wide range of genres (rock, dance, TV soundtracks, country, pop, soul, easy listening, Turkish Arabesk), the essays cover methodology, modernism, postmodernism, Marxism and communication.

This title does offer an erudite look at popular music. It didn't help with the Credo quiz but it did offer thought provoking entries.

To use the e-books in our collection you do need a log-in. Check with your CTC librarian.




-kss

No comments: