Thursday, October 13, 2011

How do you like this weather?

A safe topic of conversation is the weather. It's a neutral topic. Hardly anyone has an impassioned response to a question about the rain, or lack thereof. Stepping outside can tell you a great deal about what the weather is like right now.

What if you want to know more than just the facts of the immediate situation?

Following up on Abraham Lincoln's advice to read and study till one understands, I thought I'd explore Resources for Learning .
Resources for Learning [in GALILEO]is a collection of activities, curriculum materials, articles, scientific evidence, exhibitions, and reference lists developed by the American Museum of Natural History for students, educators, parents, and anyone interesting in exploring science. Topics include anthropology, astronomy, biology, earth science, and paleontology.
This site is one of the freely available information sources that GALILEO links to. Yes, GALILEO is a library that gathers information for Georgia citizens.

Back to American Museum of Natural History : Resources for Learning.
From the 5 broad topics listed, I selected Earth Science.
I have a choice between 7 links in Atmosphere or 44 links in Climate/Climate Change.
I selected Climate/Climate Change.
The lessons are sorted by grade level. The topics deal with climate change more than climate (weather).It's not what I thought might help me learn about the weather.

I can see this as being very useful for homeschooling. It also came to me that during the holidays this might be a fun, and free, place for families to go and find an experiment they could do together. The topics are current. The activities are laid out in a way that reminds me of lesson plans. Clear and detailed. Most adults would be able to walk through the experiments with their children or guests!

Begin planning "what to do" with the holiday company by exploring this resource!

I found the site in GALILEO
...Databases A-Z
.....selected A
........scrolled to American Museum of Natural History : Resources for Learning

-kss

No comments: