Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Go West, Young Man

Go west, young man! [electronic resource] : Horace Greeley's vision for America by Coy F. Cross takes the phrase we are familiar with and explains what it all means:
When twenty-year-old Horace Greeley arrived in New York City to start a printing business in 1831, he did not suspect that his faith in hard work and frugality would soon be tested by the worst financial depression in U.S. history to that date. Although Greeley survived and prospered, his concern for the urban unemployed prompted him to search for a universal solution—the safety valve of land in the West.
For the rest of his life, Greeley used his position as editor of the New York Tribune and occasional politician to promote his agrarian utopian ideology. Cross examines here Greeley's efforts in favor of four important factors in westward expansion
[more...]

This title is available through our electronic book collection. It can be downloaded onto a variety of electronic readers.

I went to look at how this might work, though I don't have an electronic reader. You will first create a free account in Ebsco, which will be useful for any of the Ebsco databases. Maximum check out is for 7 days. I checked a title out for 1 day. When I go look at the book, the timer is running to tell me how many hours I have left to use the title. When I have the book checked out, no one else can use it.

I'll let you know what happens when the 24 hours are up.



-kss

No comments: