Monday, July 21, 2008

Privacy

This morning I read about bloggers being arrested for libel and slander because of what was posted. On a list serve I belong to there was vigorous discussion about forwarding what is sent with people not on the list. On another list there was vigorous discussion about Information Literacy. Yes, I read a lot.

All of which reminded me of George Orwell's Nineteen eighty-four : a novel.

In GALILEO, NoveList provides a good summary of the book along with an interesting discussion guide. The question in the discussion guide that struck me had to do with memory.
Why is the thought that he might be "alone in the possession of a memory" (p. 60) so troubling to Winston?

We spend so much time creating lists, journaling, writing things down so we don't forget that in the end we forget.

Something to think about privacy and memory.

You may get the password to use GALILEO at home from your Georgia librarian.

-kls

No comments: