Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Carnivore, herbivore, locavore

And what are you?

In yesterdays New York Times "Getting That Locally Grown Flavor With Fuss but No Muss" noted new businesses springing up to support those who would like to eat locally grown produce but don't want to garden (or can't garden because they live in a high rise). I shared the article with our Horticulture department. It could be a growing (no pun intended) business market.

I found the article for you by using GALILEO.

I selected Databases A-Z and scrolled looking for newspapers.
I found the New York Times (ProQuest databases).

I searched for locavores limiting my search to the previous seven days. Nothing came up but ProQuest suggested using the terms Farmers Market or Farmers Market AND Fruit.
I selected Farmers Market, limited to the previous seven days and victory! The article was there.

Yet, it was the article in today's Britannica Blog by Robert McHenry that made me smile -

"Yes, locavoracity is yet another application of that grand green dictum, Think Glibly and Act Vocally."

.

I'm delighted to have the variety of foods I find in my huge grocery store- though I do admit the fresh tomatoes from my neighbors garden and the fresh eggs from my friends chickens do taste better.


-kls

No comments: