Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Just because


Somewhere a volcano is steadily spewing lava. The video on the news was fascinating. Unfortunately, I didn't pick up where this volcano was shooting forth tall spikes of lava. Using Google to search for volcano current pulled up US volcano sites. Nothing on the first two pages seemed 'right'. I noticed on the left side, options for other types of searches. I selected news. The very first group provided video similar to what I thought I remembered seeing on TV!

Google provides access to web sites that might be authoritative but then again might be hoaxes. I want more information about volcanoes. I'd like to use books for a little more in depth information. Yes, I could search in our catalog and limit my search to Electronic Books but I want to explore a different resource.

In GALILEO there is a Book Collection: Nonfiction. This is an EBSCO product which is a cross-curricular research database that contains abstracts and searchable full text for more than 4,000 popular nonfiction books for youth on core subject areas, as well as information on careers, health, sports, adventure, technology, life skills, and more. It provides content representing a wide spectrum of works, including popular series from top book publishers such as Allosaurus Publishers, Bess Press, Inc., Branden Publishing, Capstone Press, Compass Point Books, Fulcrum Publishing, Lerner Publishing Group, Mason Crest Publishers, Morgan Reynolds, Inc., Morning Glory Press, Oliver Press, Rourke Publishing, LLC and Stackpole Books.

The collection is aimed at K-12. There will be more pictures. The text will be simpler. I think it might be just right for me!

Clicking on the
link brings you to the standard EBSCO search page. I'm not particularly fond of this screen. Once you're inside EBSCO, the user screens are much easier on the eyes.

A nice feature is that the books may be downloaded as an MP3 file. You get to choose the accent of the reader and the speed the material is read. The American accent is female, the British accent is male, and the Australian accent is female. I found the fast reading speed sounded the least mechanical. The words are highlighted as the reader pronounces them. This could be a super tool for anyone practicing their reading skills.

There are multiple books on volcanoes. I feel informed!

-kss

Go to GALILEO - your Georgia librarian has the current password
...Select Databases A-Z
.....Select B
........Select Book Collection: Nonfiction

No comments: