Monday, October 24, 2011

Just the facts


CTC Library subscribes to Facts.com aka Facts on File. Facts.com offers 5 databases covering Today's Science, Health, Writing, World News, and Issues & Controversies.

In ENG 1101, when the students are assigned a paper involving research into a topic with two sides, we encourage them to use Issues and Controversies. There are several tips I share with students to help them find exactly what they are looking for, without as much trial and error as I go through.

I admit I haven't explored the other Facts.com resources. Because of Mole Day and Avogadro, I decided to look at 'Today's Science' which "bridges the gap between the science that students learn in the classroom and the discoveries pushing the boundaries of science today."

There are two routes to access Today's Science in Facts.com. The easiest way is to go to the CTC Library page and scroll down to Social Issues, Current Events & History. You'll need the login/password from your CTC Librarian to get in.

The other route is through GALILEO (you need the password from your Georgia librarian)
..Databases A-Z
....Select F
......Select Facts. com
........Select Today's Science (you still need the login/password but it's right there in the red link on the Select F page before you click on Facts.com)

Now that we're in, I did a search for Avogadro. I searched a couple of times because I am having trouble keeping the vowels in the correct location. I finally did a search for 'mole' so I could get the correct spelling for the scientists name.

What did I find on Avogadro? 4 articles, one as recent as 2007, and 12 encyclopedia entries. The first article, "Pick A Number, But Not Any Number: Redefining Avogadro's Number and the Kilogram", provided the mug picture in the upper corner. Ms. Bai also had a portrait of Avogadro. At first glance I thought of Gollum. The eyes are so large. I digress. The article reviewed the history of Avogadro's number and tied in the current field of science with references to two scientists at Georgia Tech, who are redefining the exact value of the Avogadro's number!

My brain is fogging as I think of the size of the numbers. Many ways to get more information. Check with your CTC Librarian for access to current and reliable information.

-kss

Picture from : Bai, Nina Yu. "Pick A Number, But Not Any Number: Redefining Avogadro's Number and the Kilogram." Today’s Science. Facts On File News Services, Oct. 2007. Web. 24 Oct. 2011. .

No comments: