Thursday, October 27, 2011

Building


Thinking about the construction going on (well, destruction at the moment), I went to our catalog to see if there was a book that might help me understand what is happening to the building.

My first search for construction as a word or phrase turned up 1883 titles. As I scrolled down the list, nothing popped right up that would be applicable.

Switching my search for construction to a subject term narrowed the field to 1020 titles. That was better but not much.

Skimming the list, Slope stability, retaining walls, and foundations [electronic] showed possibilities, but it was "selected papers from the 2009 GeoHunan International Conference, August 3-6, 2009, Changsha, Hunan, China". It's subject terms might help my search. Foundations - design and construction looked to be the best option (after eliminating Congresses). No success.

What term could I use? Building might work as a subject. 428 titles. We're narrowing the field of results.

This time I found a book that had possibilities. It is for new construction but one of the subject headings gave me an idea - Building Superintendence. Yes, that's it. 21 titles retrieved. Really that's what I'm going to be doing for the next few months, superintending from the circulation desk!


-kss

No comments: