Thursday, May 07, 2009

What's cooking?

It's almost time for light salads, cool drinks, and lemony treats to relieve the hot days of summer. Where shall I go to find a new recipe? Oh, I could shuffle through my cookbooks or riffle through the magazines at the grocery store. But you know I'm going to wander through GALILEO and see what I can find.

I went to Databases A-Z, selected P, scrolled down and selected ProQuest databases.
I selected Advanced Search (second tab in).
I typed in my search term- vegan. Yes, I'm thinking about vegan as a way to eat healthier. I've found a few vegan recipe websites but I'm looking for the nutrition information as well. I'm hoping a magazine article will include a picture, the recipe and the nutrition information.
I selected Full Text.
I opened up the 'More Search Options' link
The last search box notes Document type - the drop down has the Recipe option
I excluded Book Reviews, Dissertations, Newspapers (I am looking for color pictures)

The search brought up 65 articles. Most are from Vegetarian Times. When I clicked on an article, the publication title had a link. That link gave me two options - an e-mail alert or an RSS feed. I chose the RSS feed. I'll have articles delivered!

I did notice the magazine goes back to January 1992. I wonder what has changed in their delivery of vegetarian dishes? I may have to explore by 'searching within this publication'.

You can get the password to use GALILEO at home from 'you know who'!

-kls

No comments: