Monday, February 09, 2009

Learning new things


Research Strategies : Finding your Way through the information Fog [Z 710 .B23 2008] by William B. Badke has arrived.

The book is at the circulation desk where the librarians are reading and learning. My favorite quote so far is found on page 13 - "Not all information is equal."

Trying to teach anyone that 'good enough' may not be really 'good enough' is hard. Google and Wikipedia are so easy to find - using the library resources that are protected by passwords sometimes 'feels' quite difficult.

I shared with one class the true story- a student called the library last week and said "I've spent hours on Google and can't find an article for my class". Biting my tongue, I asked "Did you look in GALILEO"....OH

I'm hoping Mr. Badke has a hint or tip that we can share to help students remember to use the library databases!



-kls

No comments: