Thursday, February 12, 2009

Happy Birthday Charlie Darwin!

It's easy for me to remember that February 12th is the birthday of Abraham Lincoln. My mother's birthday is also on February 12th. I guess you could say that I think of the day as my mother's birthday, and it also happens to be Lincoln's birthday.

Old Abe Charles Darwin, the naturalist responsible for the theory of evolution by means of natural selection. Darwin has had an indirect influence on my life. My hometown is Dayton, Tennessee. Dayton was the site of one of the several 'trials of the century,' the 1925 Scopes Monkey Trial. The trial was a test case to challenge a Tennessee law banning the teaching of evolution. The trial became the biggest event in Dayton's history, and subsequently gave the town the nickname of 'Monkeytown,' as many a huckster and tonic salesman descended upon the town, selling shaved chimps as the missing link. The trial attracted the likes of WGN radio, Clarence Darrow, and William Jennings Bryan. The liberal arts college in Dayton, Bryan College, was named for Bryan.

Note: to view some of the links in this post, you may need to get the current Galileo password. You can get the password from your Georgia librarian.

Happy Birthday Mom!

JWF

No comments: