Tuesday, January 27, 2009

RIP Rabbit writer

Hat tip to Titus One Nine for RIP John Updike.

I started looking for verification. I did a Google search, figuring there might be a news story. First on the results list was Wikipedia and they had the death date listed. I looked for a newsy source, skimmed fan sites which did not yet list the death date. In a box I saw the Bloomberg site. I read their news story on John Updike.

Now I'm curious- how fast will other sources update the information. Was the updated Wikipedia a fluke?

Went to GALILEO and looked in Encyclopedia Britannica for John Updike - not updated yet (3:10 EST). How long will it take? Should I send in an edit comment?

Many times the bloggers are ahead of the curve but we need to verify the information with other sources. There's that carpenters adage - measure twice, cut once- which can be translated to check your sources!

-kls

No comments: