Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Well, ahem, well

Yesterday I was a bit miffed that I was paying for Magill and yet I could access it through Student Research Center- well, ahem, well - after phones calls and e-mails with other librarians who share GALILEO - it seems if one pays for Magill it is automatically routed through Student Research Center by EBSCO.

Which brings up the question- why aren't all the EBSCO databases routed through Student Research Center? I don't think of Magill as necessarily appropriate for Middle and High School researchers - more High School than Middle. Auto Repair Reference Center would surely appeal to High School students. I just did a quick look for an "administrator" control. That might be handy. The Librarian could add EBSCO databases to the Student Research Center.

EBSCO can create a colorful interface for their document search. I wonder if they leave the Academic Search Complete interface plain for a reason? Do "serious" researchers prefer the austere look? Probably - because it's not as distracting. Obviously, I'm not a serious researcher since I would like pictures and colors!

You can explore the resources in GALILEO by getting the password for home use from your Georgia librarian!

No comments: