Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Music therapy

The ENG 1010 assignment peaked my interest. What could I find in our resources that students might be able to use in their narrative essay tying music lyrics to life events.

A scroll through GALILEO reminded me of the Psychology & Behavioral Sciences Collection. This database "includes articles from 410 full-text journal covering information concerning topics in emotional and behavioral characteristics, psychiatry & psychology, mental processes, anthropology, and observational & experimental methods."

A search for 'music therapy' pulled up 192 articles. I scrolled through the titles looking at the subject headings. I wasn't finding anything that clicked. I tried a search for the word, lyrics. On the first page of the 166 articles, there were several subject headings that could be very useful for refining further searches - MUSIC -- Psychological aspects and MUSIC -- Physiological effect. There was even a policy statement on the impact of music, lyrics and music videos on children and youth. Now I have something to show the class that will add to their essay.

Your Georgia librarian can give you the current password to GALILEO
Select Databases A-Z
...Select P
.....Scroll to Psychology & Behavioral Sciences Collection


-kss

No comments: