Monday, October 03, 2011

Sniffle, sniffle

A change in the outside temperature sometimes causes the body to succumb to a little bug or two. Are there authoritative hints and tips to avoid picking up that virus? Yes, I know a Google search would provide a ton of sites to wade through, but where might I find science based articles that I could share with friends and family?

In GALILEO, the Ebsco database AltHealth Watch "focuses on multiple perspectives of complementary, holistic, and integrated approaches to health care and wellness. Full-text content comes from more than 180 international peer-reviewed and professional journals, magazines, reports, proceedings, and association and consumer newsletters, plus hundreds of pamphlets, booklets, special reports, original research, and book excerpts. "

I went to GALILEO
...Selected Databases A-Z
.....Selected A
.......Scrolled to AltHealth Watch
I did a search for viruses, limited the search to 2007-2011. Viruses pulled up all sorts of articles on topics from HIV to weight gain. From a quick scan the results weren't what I thought I wanted.
I then did a search for colds and flu, again limited to 2007-2011. This time 71 titles were retrieved. The second title specifically addressed prevention. When I opened that article, I noticed the specific subject "COLD (Disease) -- Prevention". Clicking on this link brought 70 articles that specifically addressed my concern- how to avoid getting sick!

Now this is what I was looking for. There is an e-mail icon to the right that allows me to send this article to myself and others. A handy way to share accurate, timely information about a subject we are all interested in.

The current GALILEO password is available from your Georgia librarian.



-kss

No comments: