Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Little cat feet


When I see fog, I think of the poem by Carl Sandburg that I had to memorize in elementary school. This picture of Fog is copyright © copyright-free-pictures.org.uk


CTC Library subscribes to Literature Resource Center which provides biographies on thousands of authors, as well as literary criticism, historical context, and social implications of literature .


A basic search for Carl Sandburg turned up 56 biographical references. As I scrolled the list, I noticed only 4 that seemed to be specifically about Carl Sandburg. I'm guessing the others referenced him in some way. I started playing to see how I could narrow the search to just biographies on Carl Sandburg.

At the Basic Search page, I typed in Carl Sandburg
..I clicked on the radio button Person - By or about
....I unclicked the content type options leaving only biographies
Search pulled up 5 biographies - a much easier to peruse selection!

Narrowing the search by learning what buttons to click is worth the time and effort! Play with the databases till you can create a search that pulls just what you want - not too much and not too little (as Goldilocks might say - it's just right)!

-kls

Get the current password to access GALILEO at home from your Georgia librarian.

No comments: