Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Listening

Are you a visual or an aural learner? Gale Literature Resource Center offers an audio icon with the option to download the text as an MP3 file. I'm listening to a file as I type - the female voice is pleasant but there is an electronic quality to the reading that is a bit like listening to a good SciFi movie.

From Gale's help screen:
What types of content can be read aloud?Full-text documents. Citation-only or abstract-only documents will not display the Listen icon. You will also be able to listen to Help pages and Dictionary definitions.
The audio player may not read aloud all links within the document. In addition, it will ignore image captions.


I can see this being used by athletes, travelers, and folks who just want to listen! Being able to select articles on topics I'm interested in, then downloading the article to my MP3 player makes it possible for me to create a library of short audio titles for free!

Chattahoochee Tech users may access the Gale Literature Resource Center through GALILEO. Stop by your campus library to get the current password.

-kls

No comments: