Friday, December 11, 2009

Festival of Lights

At sundown Jews begin celebrating the Festival of Lights that we also know as Chanukah or Hanukkah. I wanted to find information that I could rely on - not just any old web site freely accessed on the web. I went to GALILEO and did something a bit different - because sometimes one wants to narrow the search for information by using "off the beaten path" databases!

I selected the search tab
..typed in my search term
....left full text and peer reviewed unclicked
....did not change the years
Unclicked Academic Search Complete and Research Library (yes, these are the big boys but I wanted to try something a bit different)...
Then selected Show more databases
Scrolled down and clicked on Encyclopedia Britannica, the Religion database, and World History

I searched this group three times. I used Chanukah, Hanukkah, and Festival of Lights.

Using the word Chanukah turned up 1 article in EB, 1 in World History and a few more in the Religion database.

Hanukkah resulted in 14 EB, 2 World Historyand 32 in Religion.

Changing the search term to Festival of Lights brought up 32 in EB, 6 in Religion and 5 in World History.

Fascinating what a difference a word makes in the search. Get off the beaten path- explore different databases using the search tab and the Show more databases option!

-kls

You may get the current password to use GALILEO at home from your Georgia librarian.

No comments: