Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Naked to the Bone

The information for x-rays in Credo Reference gave me the facts (Just the Facts, Ma'am). My interest was whetted and I wanted a bit more. A search in the CTC catalog turned up a fascinating history of X-rays in the 20th century - Naked to the bone [electronic resource] : medical imaging in the twentieth century by Bettyann Kevles [RC 78.7 D 53 ONLINE RESOURCE]. The best part is, the book is available 24/7 through NetLibrary.

From the Introduction:
On a warm summer afternoon in 1996, six middle-aged people sat around a conference table. It had been a long day and the men's ties lay limp on the backs of chairs while one of the women, her high-heeled shoes discarded nearby, wriggled her toes to restore circulation. ''That reminds me of Berlin in 1936," a man observed. "My mother used to take me to a shoe store where I put my feet under a fluoroscope to watch my bones." The group sat up, revived by nostalgia. They were all children again, recalling the same experience in Indianapolis, Bakersfield, Manhattan, Wellington, and Shanghai. The memory triggered grins at first, and moments later, the barefoot woman was the first to shudder. She was trying to estimate the quantity of radiation....

A little research is the impetus to life long learning!
This video walks you through creating your free account to use NetLibrary
Go to GALILEO
..Select Databases A-Z
...Select N
....Scroll to NetLibrary
......In the upper right corner select Create your free account

Your Georgia librarian can give you the current password to access GALILEO.

-kls

No comments: