Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The stronger chain

Links to links to links. Bill Badke, noted Librarian and author, shared with the ALA Information Literacy list,
If your institution has Google Scholar set up with links to your resources, an easy way to get to full text quickly is to search for part of the title (in quotation marks) and the last name of an author.

I had no idea Google Scholar could be personalized. I tell students that Google Scholar will have scholarly articles. I point out there will be a fee to access those articles. It's part of my pitch to send them to GALILEO.

I went to Google Scholar and selected Scholar Preferences. It's in teeny tiny print next to the Search button.
I searched for GALILEO and Georgia Library Services EBSCOHost Full text appeared.
I clicked on it.
I searched for Georgia Library and Georgia Library Services Board of Regents (FindIT Full Text) - Full Text@GALILEO appeared.
I selected that also.
I saved my preferences

When I did a search, if the article could be found in GALILEO, there was a link (and the purple Find It button).

You will still need the current GALILEO password to access the articles off campus but if you're hooked on the availability of Google Scholar - editing the preferences to pull up GALILEO resources will save you money!

-kls

No comments: