Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Exploring a Health Resource

As I was looking at Issues and controversies in Facts on File, I noticed the Health Reference Center icon. Health Reference Center is a new resource for the Chattahoochee Technical College library.

Since I wrote about Ebsco's free resource a few days agao, H1N1 is on my mind. I did a Basic search in Health Reference Center for H1N1. 4 Topics (articles from 3 books) and 41 news articles were retrieved. Not as extensive as the Ebsco resource but still enough reliable information to get started.

As I scanned the page I noticed links to other resources that may prove helpful for students in the Allied Health or Early Childhood programs.

I looked under Subjects (second tab in). There are 5 major headings.
I selected Body Systems because the Anatomy classes are regularly looking for more information about the body.
Selecting Images and Videos from the right side of the screen opened up an opportunity to view movies or illustrations. There are 61 movies and over 500 illustrations for the Body.

The big test for usefulness for the anatomy students in the Health Reference Center is the musculoskeletal system. Toward the end of the quarter, the instructors leave bones in the library for students to handle, study and learn the exact names of each bone.

I clicked on musculoskeletal system. There is an illustration of a skeleton. It notes the axial and appendicular portions of the skeleton. It's not tagged with the names of the individual bones. There is a list noting the axial and appendicular skeleton parts but no pictures. This would not be very helpful for the Anatomy students.

The handiest tool I noticed is the Conversion Calculator! Going from grams to kilograms or ounces to pounds. A very handy tool.

I'll keep exploring. This Health Reference Center in Facts on File will provide another resource for accurate information!



-kls

No comments: