Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Shh, We're writing....

They wrote and wrote and wrote...fortunately the Library of Congress has collected and digitized some of the writings at the Documents from the Continental Congress and the Constitutional Convention.
The Continental Congress Broadside Collection (256 titles) and the Constitutional Convention Broadside Collection (21 titles) contain 277 documents relating to the work of Congress and the drafting and ratification of the Constitution. Items include extracts of the journals of Congress, resolutions, proclamations, committee reports, treaties, and early printed versions of the United States Constitution and the Declaration of Independence. Most broadsides are one page in length; others range from 1 to 28 pages. A number of these items contain manuscript annotations not recorded elsewhere that offer insight into the delicate process of creating consensus. In many cases, multiple copies bearing manuscript annotations are available to compare and contrast.


My title came from the book by Jean Fritz, "Shh! We're writing the Constitution".

Using GALILEO I found the title in Book Index with Reviews. The first time I searched in BIR, I had too many h's in the Shhhh. When I tried by author, the title came right up. Spelling does count.

I looked for the title in NoveList and couldn't find it by author or by title.I was surprised it's not listed in NoveList. I really was looking for extenders for the classroom. I noticed the NoveList K-8 as I was scrolling through the GALILEO list - so I thought- well, maybe it's in that database - nope - not there either.

All three databases are published by EBSCO. Interesting. You get the password to use GALILEO at home from your Georgia librarian.


-kls

No comments: