Thursday, September 04, 2008

Career Advice for Those Who Don't Like to Read Books

Okay, let's admit it, not everyone likes to read books. There are a lot of reasons for this, which we shall not digress into at this juncture.

The growth of graphic novels, books that present their content in a format similar to comic books, is in part due to the preferences of some to not read traditional books. Even so, those who choose not to read or are uncomfortable doing so may find that they still need the advice and help that is available through books. This may be especially true of many of our students, who often seek guidance as to their future and their future career.

A solution has presented itself. The library has a copy of the book 'the Adventures of Johnny Bunko: the Last Career Guide You'll Ever Need.' This book is a career/work/life guide, but one that is presented in the format of a graphic novel. The book may be a career guide solution for those of you who don't want to read through a 'normal' book about careers or work choices. The book's website claims that you should be able to read the book within an hour. The graphic style of the book is manga, a Japanese format that is quite popular with younger readers in the United States. The website has other information about the book, including a brief trailer for the book, done in the anime style (which is animated manga). The book may offer some brief tips about career paths and choices while holding your attention with its unusual style.

JWF

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for mentioning the book. Yep, I'm trying a new approach -- in part to reach people in their 20s, who are pressed for time and want relevant information fast.

Let us know how students respond to Johnny's adventures.

Cheers,
Dan Pink

Unknown said...

I always have such a hard time finding time to read. In my spare time I usually find that I would rather do other things, but the problem is that I'm always looking for career advice. I work as a recruiter in Boston at Hollister Staffing (www.hollisterstaff.com) and am always looking for good career advice for myself and my clients, but just never have time to find any. I'm so happy I came across your post, I think this book would be perfect for me, thank you so much for sharing it!