Tuesday, September 02, 2008

And their job was?

Labor Day always reminds me of the hymn "Come Labor On". I think about all the people who've worked to make our lives better. I started wondering how I could find statistics about how many people did a certain job at a certain time.

I played with Ancestry.com (Library edition) in GALILEO. It's not able to sort by job but then I got distracted. You know how it is to get distracted while online.

I typed in Scott Joplin as a person to search for- I'm not sure why I thought of Scott Joplin but there you go. He shows up in the 1880 Texas census as Going to School, in the 1900 Missouri census as Musician, and then in the 1910 NY census as a Musician Composer! This little be of searching helped flesh out what I "know" about Scott Joplin.

You may only access Ancestry.com through GALILEO on campus but it is a very intriguing primary source for any content area not just for your own personal genealogy.

-kls

No comments: