Sunday, August 10, 2008

Walking the wire

When I read the movie review by A. O. Scott for "Man On Wire" in the Saturday AJC, I thought there was a children's book about this event - and I couldn't think of the title.

I went to GALILEO and did a Search for Philippe Petit. I limited my search to Academic Search Complete, Research Library, NoveList and Book Index with Reviews. I figured I'd get something in NoveList and Book Index with Reviews.

Voila - there it was in NoveList. The Man Who Walked Between the Towers by Michael Gerstein. NoveList offers a curriculum extender for many titles- including this one. You can use this title in Math, Language Arts, PE, and Social Studies.

You might not want to take your elementary age child to the movie (it is rated PG-13) but the book would be appropriate for any age!

I looked in WorldCat to see who has the book. Yes, NMTC has the book- it is a Caldecott Winner- we do have an Early Childhood class on Children's Literature. Having the award winners in our library supports their program.

I gave you the link to the "public" version of WorldCat. If you use the WorldCat available through GALILEO, there is a "Borrow This Item From Another Library" link. That is helpful for you to get the book quickly from another library!

You may get the password to use GALILEO at home from your Georgia librarian.


-kls

No comments: