Monday, February 11, 2008

Getting the info where you'll read it

At a ProQuest workshop last week the question was posed - what's the difference between Journal Alerts and RSS? Why use one over the other?

ProQuest Nursing and Allied Health Source now has RSS limited to specific topics.

I thought about this over the weekend. What is the difference? For me- e-mail can get cluttered, too much "stuff", too much information that gets overlooked in the hurry to get through the in basket.

The RSS feed sits there and you know what is in the folder and why. I have subscribed to blogs and to Ebsco searches. I created a folder for topics to get sent to. At a glance I can determine if there is new information on my topic.

Yes, I know I could create folders in Outlook to funnel certain addresses to but...somehow that seems unwieldy.

RSS helps me organize the information I'm looking for without being overwhelmed. I'm glad ProQuest has begun to add RSS feeds.

Where are the RSS feeds in ProQuest Nursing and Allied Health Source ?
Do a search (for anything).
...When the results appear, on the right hand side of the screen will be an RSS icon and the text Health Science RSS feeds.
......Click on the link
....There is a list of broad topics
.......Click on the topic you're interested in and there are the feed options (narrowing the topic)

I looked in the ProQuest databases and did not see the RSS icon after a search. Hopefully, RSS will come to all of the ProQuest offerings.

To use the ProQuest materials at home- you'll need the current GALILEO password- which you can get from your Georgia librarian!

1 comment:

zomba said...

ticTOCs http://www.tictocs.ac.uk/ a project to develop a service to make it easier to locate, subscribe to, re-use, etc journal RSS feeds, may be of interest to you.