Wednesday, December 05, 2007

No time to search

Yesterday I shared the Hospitality database from Ebsco. I realized the time crunch seems worse around the holidays. There is so much to acccomplish- or it feels that way. How do I make time to keep up with current events, my favorite topic, or the latest journal article?

Most Ebsco databases will send a journal alert through e-mail. Many dread skimming the e-mails to try to find what really matters. There are tips and tricks to having e-mails sent to a folder that you check when you have time but still....

A tool that I've grown very fond of is RSS. Ebsco will create an RSS for a search topic in a database. That makes it possible for one to keep up without feeling overwhelmed.

Ebsco does RSS for journals, too.

I use Bloglines. It is "portable" (I can access it from any computer). I haven't explored other feed readers - for me this works. With i-bloglines - you may accesse bloglines through your i-phone. I'm not there yet.

Keeping informed doesn't mean searching for a topic every day - use the tools made available from the vendors.

You get the current password to use GALILEO at home from your Georgia librarian. Once you set the alert- you don't need to get back into GALILEO- the information comes to you direct!

No comments: