Monday, October 15, 2007

Water, water everywhere

but not a drop to drink.

That phrase has been ringing in my ears as the drought continues in Georgia. I went to look for the literary work the phrase came from- starting in GALILEO and selecting LION.

I typed in water water everywhere. Tons of works came up but it was overwhelming. So I thought- OK- I need an author.

That should help limit my search. You know where I went- to Google- did a search and the first link was The Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Samuel Taylor Coleridge.

Ah Ha - I had an author and a complete title. I went back to LION. Still no success. It must be in there somewhere but it was so "easy" on Google.

The frustration with the very good, complete and authoritative databases is - well- they just aren't easy.

Breathing deeply, I went back to LION -

I selected Search Texts
  • Typed in water, water for Keywords in Work (use that comma)
  • Then Ancient Mariner in Title Keywords
  • Coleridge for Author


  • and voila 1. Coleridge, Samuel Taylor, 1772-1834 [Author Page]
    THE RIME OF THE ANCIENT MARINER IN SEVEN PARTS 39Kb , [from The Complete Poetical Works (1912)] .

    There it is! Knowing the correct terms made it work quickly and accurately.

    And, yes, I know the "water, water" phrase refers to sea water.....

    No comments: