Monday, February 13, 2012

Pro/Con, Persuasive, Argumentative, Compare/Contrast

In English 1101, the standard research paper revolves around a 'hot' topic. Depending on the instructor, the written product may be a persuasive paper, an argumentative paper, something as simple as compare and contrast, or a pro and con essay. All of these responses involve knowing both sides of the issue. When I share library resources with these classes, I confess I have trouble seeing the 'other side' of some topics. I laugh and note that I'm 'shocked' everyone doesn't agree with my point of view.

After sharing the online resources like Facts.com in GALILEO, I conclude with a tour of the Library Guides.

Our ENGL 1101 Library Guide pulls together the various resources that will help these students easily find both sides of a subject. The Books tab lists links to series  in our collection. Two large series are Opposing Viewpoints and Current Controversies. Each title has enough information to give the student a handle on what could be used to persuade or compare and contrast. If they aren't sure about their topic- these series can jump start their thinking process.

Our 74 Library Guides do provide links to the resources most appropriate for a particular class or program.


-kss

No comments: