Tuesday, January 03, 2012

And the winner is?

The Iowa caucuses intrigue me. I'm fairly suggestible and can be persuaded to go along with the crowd. Voting in a booth all by myself helps me stick to my choice. I think standing in a room and seeing all my neighbors swirling around would make it harder to stick to my first response. Peer Pressure can be a powerful influence.

A search for Iowa Caucus in History Reference Center which is a "full-text history reference database designed for secondary schools, public libraries, junior/community colleges, and undergraduate research. The database features reference books, encyclopedias, non-fiction books, and history periodicals as well as thousands of historical documents, biographies of historical figures, photos, maps, and over 80 hours of historical video" pulled up 9 articles and 4 videos. The search only looked between 2000 and 2004. I couldn't edit it to cover a longer span of time. No references to peer pressure.

That's not a whole lot about the Iowa Caucus. We have other History resources. I choose Credo Reference. A search limited to their History collection with Iowa caucus in quotes pulled up nothing. A search in the overall Credo collection only pulled up 5 references.
Still no references to peer pressure.

Fascinating. Since my initial concern was the effect of Peer Pressure on my choice, I went to the Psychology database by Ebsco. Two articles were retrieved. The time slot of 2000 to 2012 was not much longer than History Reference Center, which is also an Ebsco product. Neither article dealt with peer pressure.

Maybe someone should do a study on peer pressure and the Iowa Caucus results. Stay tuned as the Presidential Election season gets rolling.

To find the resources I mentioned-
go to GALILEO
There is a new password for accessing GALILEO.
Check with your CTC librarian.
...select Databases A-Z
.....select the first letter of the database (H for History, C for Credo, P for Psychology)
........then scroll to the database

-kss

No comments: