Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Testing, testing

My question about the emergency alert system being available only on TV, radio, and cable pushed me to go look in GALILEO for a news story about the system. I selected ProQuest databases as a general news source rather than a specific newspaper resource. Admittedly, I'm partial to the ProQuest layout.

My first search term was emergency broadcast. ProQuest offered alternatives. I like how the subject alternatives are in a 'drop down' below the search box. I selected emergency broadcast system. That search turned up more than a few articles. I noticed the sort box to the right. I sorted by 'Publication date (most recent first)'.

The results were interesting but definitely not what I expected. I realized because of the highlighting of the search terms, that ProQuest was searching by individual word. A new search with "emergency broadcast system" in quotes pulled up exactly what I was looking for, current articles on the national test today.

FEMA to launch first national test of emergency broadcast system by Stephen Pytak in the Tribune Business News noted:
"The test (on Wednesday) will not involve other communication devices such as the Internet, LAN and mobile telephones. No other communications networks or devices will be impacted by the test, meaning that people will be able to continue use their cell phones, the Internet and other communications channels during the test," according to the FEMA website. "There will be no disruption of those service."

"FEMA is working on a program to allow cell phone users to receive Emergency Alert System updates. By April 2012, FEMA will have the Personal Localized Alerting Network, according to Niki Edwards, a FEMA spokeswoman based in Philadelphia. It will allow cell phone users to receive geographically targeted, text-like messages alerting them of imminent threats to safety in their area, according to the FEMA website."
That answered some of my questions.

CTC subscribes to e2 campus which is a system where they can text your cell phone or e-mail in case of an emergency. Security used the system when there was a gas leak on the North Metro campus. It is an 'opt in' system. I wonder how the feds will handle all the cell phones in the country? Especially those that may charge for text messages. Will the Feds pay for every text message? Will they insist that there be no charge by the phone companies?

More questions. Stay tuned. Today is only a test!


-kss

GALILEO get the current password from your Georgia librarian
...Databases A-Z
.....P
.......ProQuest databases

No comments: