Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Catch 22


Have you lived through a Catch 22 situation?

Most of us have been caught in some bureaucratic circle of unreasonableness. My circle has to do with my internet provider, Comcast.

I have an internet phone service that ties to the Comcast cable modem. Here's where the Catch 22 begins- when the internet doesn't work, the phone doesn't work. My modem chose to not light up. It seemed to have quit. I was able to schedule a service call. The tech never showed up. When I reached a phone that worked and called Comcast, I was told the tech tried to call but because I didn't answer, they cancelled the service call.

Can you see my hair curling?

I had no phone service at home because I had no internet access. Without the phone service, the tech couldn't tell me they were coming. No internet, no phone, no service. What makes it more interesting is the lack of awareness by the Comcast service people to this conundrum. They really don't see the problem.

Who can I write to that might have a modicum of common sense?

Here's where GALILEO fills the bill for company research. We have access to Hoover's Company Capsules and Profiles which "includes information on more than 40,000 companies, 600 industries, and 225,000 key executives". A search for Comcast Cable Communications, LLC provides a full page of names with a corporate address, FAX and phone. Yes, now I have a name to put in the salutation of my concerned customer missive.


When you have something to say to a business, get the name of the person who might care enough to respond to your concern.
GALILEO - your Georgia librarian can give you the password
...Databases A-Z
.....H
.......Hoover's Company Capsules and Profiles

-kss

No comments: