Friday, January 07, 2011

Money, money, and more money

The holidays are over and the gift buying bills are starting to appear. I went looking for a resource in GALILEO that might have timely articles on credit use. Scrolling through the Databases A-Z list I noticed Banking Information Source (ProQuest).

The description notes: Banking Information Source (ProQuest) combines the currency of the Internet and the perspective of industry journals to provide the ultimate financial services research tool. With over 500 of the most authoritative sources of information, there is simply no better way to keep informed.

I haven't used the new ProQuest interface a lot. This quest for financial information is giving me an opportunity to play.

The cool blue appeals to me visually. The larger search box and the limiter for full text on the front screen simplifies searching.

There is no Scholarly Journal limiter on the front page of Banking Information Source (ProQuest). The Scholarly Journals limiter is on the front page of the main ProQuest database. You can limit to scholarly journals in ProQuest Banking Information Source by going to the Advanced Search screen and using the Source type boxes to limit to Scholarly Journals. They do provide a visual clue of a graduation cap icon before an article that is in a scholarly journal.

ProQuest completes the text as you type and offers a list of topics. I discovered I did need to put a phrase in quotes or it would search for the words individually.

I could sort by date after the search was completed if I neglected to limit the search by date range.

ProQuest provides a search tips link which has a plethora of hints, tips, and very useful tricks for getting the most out of a search!

I was amused to note there is a scholarly journal titled The Journal of Money Laundering Control. Who would have thought such a thing existed! You may get the current GALILEO password from your Georgia librarian.



-kls

No comments: