Friday, March 12, 2010

Spring forward

Daylight savings time begins this weekend. We spring forward an hour. Why do we do this?


A search in GALILEO turned up this interesting article from the Washington Post. How did I find a current article with a brief history of Daylight Savings Time?


I went to Search in GALILEO
..Typed in Daylight Savings Time
....Clicked on Full Text
....Selected 2010 as the year
....I unclicked Academic Search Complete and Research Library
....I clicked on Show More Databases
I scrolled through the list looking for newspapers. I figured a newspaper might have a current history on Daylight Savings time.
....I selected Newspaper Source and ProQuest Newspapers

Selected the Search 2 databases button (I like how it tells me how many databases I've selected)


It was in ProQuest Newspapers that I found the Washington Post article

I like the ending...

In 2005, Congress moved the start date up three weeks and moved the end date back one week, adding an entire month to daylight saving -- and saving energy. That, however, may not apply to you, with all the energy you will spend playing outside in the extra daylight.



Lets go outside and play (if it quits raining).

-kls

You may get the current password to use GALILEO at home from your Georgia librarian.

No comments: