Monday, January 25, 2010

Happy Birthday season, Mr. Burns!

Encyclopedia Britannica blogger, Robert McHenry, notes the poet Robert Burns 251st birthday was January 25th. I like to celebrate birthdays for weeks before and weeks after the actual day.

We have access to Encyclopedia Britannica through GALILEO. We also have several literary databases that can give an indepth look at the poet.

I went to the Browse by Subject tab inGALILEO
..selected Literature, Language, and Literary Criticism
...then selected the Literature and Literary Criticism link

Here I can do a bulk search of 5 resources.
I chose to search for Robert Burns and limit my search to the Subject.
This definitely limited the results to under 50 hits.

The Literature Resource Center (Gale) had no results at all, which I admit I thought was odd.
I went to Databases A-Z, selected L, and directly selected Literature Resource Center (Gale).

The same search pulled up 96 biographies of Robert Burns. I quickly realized that I needed to limit my search to the radio button person- by or about. I continued to have to drill down through the various Robert Burns (who knew there were so many authors named Robert Burns) till I found the correct Robert Burns.

Literature Resource Center (Gale) allows you to create a bookmark that can link you to the specific article you found. Literature Resource Center (Gale) also offers the opportunity to listen to the article or download it in an mp3 file!

Learn more about poets who have literary longevity by using the resources in GALILEO.

You may get the password to access GALILEO resources from your Georgia librarian!

-kls

No comments: