Tuesday, October 13, 2009

What do I see?

Have you ever looked at something and not really seen it? I use GALILEO almost daily. I write about GALILEO resources regularly. I think I'm fairly conversant with GALILEO.

Last week as I stood in front of a class demonstrating Browse by Subject. I selected a subject, clicked on it and began to do my spiel on how to fill in the search boxes, select full text, peer reviewed, limit by date, pick extra databases to search, when I noticed the rest of the gray bar running to the right from the blue Search button. I saw Books & more and thought- what is that? I clicked on it and it took me to the Chattahoochee Tech catalog! Well, really it took me to a search box that went to the catalog.

I was amazed! I said- this must be new. Isn't this a great addition to GALILEO. Look at the Articles & databases, Journals & magazines, Other tools buttons - it's a complete library for this particular subject.

I need to thank the GALILEO folks for continuing to improve this resource.

At COMO, I stopped by the GALILEO booth to thank them and tell them how useful those extra tabs were....I watched them all turn slightly pale as I was exclaiming about this 'new' resource....when one said very quietly- oh my, if she didn't see the bar..... it had been on the page for a very long time.....I was embarrassed. What else have I not noticed in GALILEO's great bag of tricks?

Let's go exploring for other tools that are available to Georgians in GALILEO. You may get the password to use GALILEO at home from your Georgia librarian.

-kls

No comments: