Tuesday, September 08, 2009

A year on the lawn


The title (and cover art) intrigued me - Suburban Safari : a year on the lawn by Hannah Holmes [QL 181 .H65 2005]. At Chattahoochee Technical College, we have an award winning Environmental Horticulture department which is based on the North Metro campus. I thought this title, Suburban Safari , would be about taking care of the yard over a year.

I was pleasantly surprised to see Ms. Holmes spent more time on the safari nature of the yard with her chapter on birds, then the one on insects, and another on squirrels. She does exhibit a light touch when covering what lives amongst the greenery. I found myself looking at my yard with a whole different attitude!

It's not a how to take care of the yard book. Yet, it is a very enjoyable read (and cheaper than taking a real safari).


-kls

No comments: