Thursday, April 23, 2009

Tilting at Windmills

Today is the day to remember the character who inspires us to use the euphoniously descriptive phrase "tilting at windmills".

Thanks to Gregory McNamee at Britannica blog for noting Don Quixote's 'birthday'.

After reading the blog by Mr. McNamee, I wanted to know a bit more about Cervantes and Don Quixote. I went to GALILEO and selected the subject 'Literature, Language and Literary Criticism', then Literature and Literary Criticism. GALILEO staffers have pre-selected 5 databases to search through. I used 'Don Quixote" as my search phrase. I didn't narrow the search by Full Text or Peer Reviewed or year. I just let GALILEO rip through those 5 databases.

I skimmed through the offerings (in date order, most recent first) I noticed an article titled G.K. Chesterton from the Salem Press series Critical Survey of Mystery and Detective Fiction, Revised Edition . What could he have to do with Don Quixote? I selected the article- started skimming- felt bogged down so I did an 'Edit/Find on this page' for Quixote. Isn't 'Find on this page' a delightful tool? In 1926, G.K. Chesterton wrote The Return of Don Quixote.

Explore GALILEO - you'll never feel like you're tilting at windmills with articles you find! Get the password from your Georgia librarian.

-kls

No comments: