Monday, March 02, 2009

What is a cloud?


The question was asked by Dr. Mary Ann Bell on LM_Net - what do you think of when you hear the phrase 'The Cloud'? She offered a quick survey to the LM_Net community. She gave us a hint- we could look in Wikipedia for The Cloud.

I think of 'It Looked Like Spilt Milk' by Charles G. Shaw when I think of clouds. I cut a white flannel shape for each of the pictures and lay out the 'clouds' on the board as I read. By the time I've finished- it looks like a sky full of clouds.

Back to Dr. Bell's question - which asked about 'The Cloud'. I did check Wikipedia, then I went to GALILEO where I selected Browse by Type and chose Encyclopedias- of course, Encyclopedia Britannica was my first choice. 'The cloud' brought up 1290 entries in EB. Changing the search term to The cloud internet brought up one entry.

I learned something from the Wikipedia article. I'm not sure I understand it- but I learned something!

-kls

No comments: