Friday, November 09, 2007

Can you see me?

On November 8, 1895, Wilhelm Conrad Roentgen “accidentally” found x-rays! This is a big week in all hospital Radiology Departments across the country.

Our Rad Tech department had a wonderful Open House yesterday with X-rays displayed. They had a contest where one could guess what was wrong with the person. Those films are hard to read! The TV shows make it look so easy.

I went searching in GALILEO for "Wilhelm Conrad Roentgen" and had a bit of trouble on this Friday afternoon. I could do a Quick search and it seemed like interesting articles and pictures were being found - but - clicking on the view said the site could not be found. I tried the Beta site and limited my search to various Health databases but still had the same problem. It would search, give me a title but not let me view.

Determined to use our online resources, I went to the new Credo Reference database we purchased this week and pulled up 13 references to Wilhelm Conrad Roentgen. Interesting reading from the various Encyclopedias and Dictionaries. The log in and password to use Credo off campus are available at the NMTC Library Front desk.

Credo has a link in their banner to our catalog (and to GALILEO). The cross linking makes it easier to go from source to source.

I searched in our catalog for the Gale Nursing Encyclopedia (we have the online edition). Searched within the Encyclopedia and three articles with Roentgen were pulled.

Our electronic book collection has over 45,000 titles- but not one title had Roentgen in it. However, there are 13 titles that have radiography and 30 titles have radiology!

Yes, I enjoyed the searching. I learned something about Wilhelm along the way- he noted in his will that all his records were to be destroyed so no one is really sure how he discovered the X-ray.

No comments: