Thursday, September 08, 2005

Cite your sources

I do genealogy for fun. Sometimes I look at information I've gathered and I wonder if I copied it correctly- the data just doesn't seem correct. Fortunately, I've cited my sources for information so I can go back and check myself (and anyone who uses my data can check my research by referring to the sources I've cited).

How do I cite my sources? The basic formula is:
  • Who did it (the author- last name first- like the phone book)
  • What did they do (the title)
  • How does my reader find it (the publisher, copyright date, and page)

APA (American Psychological Association) and MLA (Modern Language Association) follow this formula- the differences are where the commas, periods, quotes, and parenthesis are placed (at least that's how it looks to me).

Yesterday I noted that Encyclopedia Britannica online gives you the way to cite their articles in both APA and MLA style.

GALILEO has a tutorial on citing articles in their Quick Help drop down box. Also in the Online Library Learning Center #8 "Giving Credit Where Credit is due".

The password for home use of GALILEO is available to the citizens of Georgia from your librarian. Some resources noted in this BLOG are only available to NMTC patrons.

No comments: